This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
Many people want to know how to lose weight at home and on a budget.
This is a big issue as many people are working from home currently and have access to their pantry and fridge all day!
It can be hard to know what meal plan "fads" to follow these days since their are so many on the market.
As a functional medicine practitioner, I will tell you that it's actually easier than it appears to be. Eating can actually be simpler if you want to lose weight and get healthier.
Here are 7 Ways to Lose Weight at Home:
1) Eat colorful foods that are unprocessed and come from the earth. The basis of healthy eating to lose weight is asking yourself this question: did this come from the earth? The start of losing weight is really that simple and here's why.
Many people get foods that are packaged, heavily processed, and have ingredients that slow down our body's ability to detoxify. This can lead to a sluggish liver and an unhealthy gut.
Are you currently taking any probiotics? This is one I recommend that helps improve gut health which impacts weight loss. Plus, you'll get $10 off as a thank you from me!
When these important parts of our body get out of balance, it messes with our hormones, thyroid, adrenal glands, and our metabolism!
So starting by getting rid of the junk and processed food is a great place to start!
Focus on colorful foods.
This means getting many colors into your diet. You'll notice fruits and veggies will bring in many different colors onto your plate. This is what we want!
All of these colors offer various phytonutrients that help our immune systems stay strong and keep us energized.
2) Take mini breaks to move around, go outside, or dance! This means every 45 minutes set an alarm on your phone or computer to take a 30 second to 5 minute break to move. This adds up over the course of an 8 hour day ( 2 minutes of walking every 8 hours = 16 minutes of walking)
By doing this, you will be helping your body get more blood flow, improve circulation and lymph flow, and also help your muscles not get tight and sore throughout the day from sitting.
3) Substitute unhealthy snack items for healthier options. Craving something salty? Try some salted almonds or pistachios. Want a crunchy snack? Go for cut up carrots and celery in a dressing that you like. Even potato chips have healthier options such as blue corn chips (great with guacamole) or veggie chips that are made with healthier oils.
4) Drink plenty of water! Drink at least half of your weight in ounces. This means if you are 100 pounds, drink at least 50 ounces of water each day, plus more if you are moving around or working out!
5) Get 7-8 hours of sleep. Sleep is key for weight loss! Getting enough rest will help you feel energized and give you the oomph you need to move and workout the next day. Research has shown that lack of sleep is tied to obesity!
6) Take walks outside. Being in nature has been shown to boost our immune systems, and walking improves our lymphatic systems to help detoxify the body. Even getting outside in the morning for a 20 minute daily walk will give you almost 2 hours more exercise each work week! Remember that even short amounts of movement add up!
7) Take "joy" breaks during your day.
Whether it's calling a friend for a 10 minute chat, watching a funny video, or doing something that brings you joy, schedule in a "joy" activity each day as a way to decrease stress and improve your self care!
Being chronically stressed can cause adrenal fatigue, leading to weight gain! Need an adrenal boost? This is a great adrenal support that can help with burnout while keeping you feeling strong, energetic, and able to stay calm!
While decreasing stressful thoughts and feelings we also decrease cortisol, a stress hormone that can lead to abdominal weight gain.
Need help with healthy meal planning? Or unsure of what exactly to eat to help you?