The pH of our body is so important to our overall health. Diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and cancer all occur in acidic conditions. The more we can bring our body into an alkaline state, the better it will be for our overall health.
On a scale of 0 to 14, 0 is completely acidic and 14 is completely basic, or alkaline. 7 is neutral.
We aim for a value of a blood pH of 7.35-7.45, which is slightly alkaline.
When our bodies are acidic for a few months or years, it creates issues in all parts of our body. This occurs because as our body works hard to restore the balance to an alkaline environment, it is unable to keep the immune system as strong while it is doing so.
Common issues we see with having an acidic body are:
What contributes to acidic vs alkaline pH?
The food we eat, our water, skincare products, even our stress, and our thoughts contribute to our pH. This is a true testament to the mind body connection!
As we work to bring the body from an acidic state into an alkaline state, it is important for us to focus holistically on our physical, mental, and emotional areas of our lives.
Alkaline foods are many well known groups of colorful, fresh fruits and veggies. Here are the top alkaline veggies:
As you can see, eating whole, rich and colorful foods, organic when possible, will help you to shift your pH to alkaline, where health and wellness lives.
What drinks are acidic?
Many common drinks such as coffee, wine, and beer are all acidic on the system. This is something to keep in mind depending on your health goals.
How to swap for alkaline drinks
1) Carbonated water, or seltzer is one of my favorite easy swaps for healthy alkaline drinks. The bubbly taste is refreshing and can stand in for that "wanting a drink" feeling. We invested in a Sodastream to decrease the use of plastic and buying plastic bottles, and we have never looked back sense!
2) Almond milk is another great drink to alkalize the body.
3) Alkaline or filtered water with added minerals is a great way to increase your calcium and magnesium naturally.
Even if you are eating all alkaline foods, you still might test acidic
This is an incredible showing of the mind on the body. Stress, fear, and anxiety can all attribute to an acidic pH. This is so important to remember as we go about our daily life.
Our thoughts and emotions impact our body's health and well being!
Thus, for a simple roadmap to go from acidic to alkaline we need to follow these simple steps:
1) Create an alkaline food plan. Make sure you are getting these highly nutritious alkaline foods into your daily life.
2) Cut out some, or all, of the acidic foods. This will help you improve your pH balance and feel better!
3) Decrease stress, improve emotional resilience. This is easier said than done, but focusing on meditation, self care, and yoga are all ways to start bringing in more calm to your life.
4) Pay attention to your water source. Having harsh chemicals can throw off your pH. Make sure to drink filtered water whenever possible.
5) Quit the pesticides and eat organic. This is key for reducing our chemical exposure. Check out this article on Clean 15 vs Dirty Dozen to know which foods are the most important to get organic.
6) Use non-toxic skincare and makeup. Because these chemicals and lotions soak into our skin, it is important to use clean products as they impact our ph as well as our hormones. I use Arbonne products because they are Vegan, dairy free, and gluten free. You can check them out here.
Where to start?
First, order a test kit. I got this one easily and is very cheap from Amazon. It's only $8 for 5 months worth of strips!
This will give you strips that you can test and record daily pH readings on the app.
See your starting point, and make a goal. Remember, that changes can take time, but even small steps in the right direction is progress!
Need help? Reach out! I create nutrition and fitness guides for all people to help them reach their health goals.
Some popular goals include: