Detoxing our bodies is so important for how we feel right now and our long term health. Keeping our body in a healthy balance and supporting our detoxing organs (skin, liver, kidneys, and colon) is of utmost importance because we need them functioning well, hopefully, for a very long time.
Did you know your skin is your body's largest organ? Things that we put on our skin get directly absorbed into our bodies and go into our bloodstream, having an impact on our body in a variety of ways. Often chemicals can disrupt our brains as well as our hormones. These are known as endocrine disruptors or neuroendocrine disruptors. (You can look up these words to find the exact chemicals that affect them for more information).
Most people do not realize that every day we get toxic exposure whether it's through pollution, pesticides sprayed on the grass or on our food, chemicals in our household products, and even our own stress.
Usually, our body does a good job of processing these toxins through our liver and kidneys, and then excreting them through our bowels. However, over time, this toxic sludge can overwhelm our bodies and make it more difficult to detox. Sometimes we can get a toxic buildup and our liver starts working more sluggishly.
This can manifest in our lives with symptoms such as bloating, fatigue, headaches, brain fog, skin issues, and low energy, just to name a few issues.
This negative impact can be made even worse with increased consumption of inflammatory foods, alcohol, high sugar and processed foods, food allergies, and even mental issues such as grief, stress, and anxiety.
For this reason we need to be supporting our bodies regularly (liver, kidneys, skin, and bowels) with proper detoxification to keep everything running smoothly so we don't get that toxic build up in our bodies.
While adding in small detox life hacks regularly during the week, I would also recommend doing a full detox every 3 months to help support your body and organs, plus you will feel more energized, less bloated and have glowing skin. Most people also lose water retention by decreasing their salt intake and getting enough potassium as well.
So, now for what you've been waiting for!
Here are 5 Easy Ways to Start Detoxing Today!
1) HYDRATE! I recommend lemon water or cucumber water every day to stay hydrated and get your daily dose of vitamin C and and antioxidants. This will also help flush the liver and kidneys of their toxic load and also improve weight loss through excess water and salt excretion.
2) SWEAT! Lose those toxins! I love a good cardio workout. That can be a brisk walk, a run, or interval training. Spending time in a sauna is also a great way to sweat out toxins. You will feel this immediately as your skin will thank you for the healthy hydration as well!
3) CLEAN ENERGY! Put healthy energy with antioxidant fuel into your day with green tea. You can drink green tea either hot or iced, depending on your liking and the season. Green tea is very high in antioxidants and helps your body function optimally. These antioxidants have anti-aging benefits as well as being helpful for your heart health, skin, eyes, and mood. Green tea has also been shown to help increase focus which can be helpful for an afternoon pick me up.
4) ANTIOXIDANT BOOST- Remember, food is medicine! Getting in your green veggies will help your liver function optimally, helping your body process and get rid of toxins. Some top foods include broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, apples, garlic, ginger, lemon, melon, and citrus fruits. Remember to try and get these organic if possible so that they do not have harmful pesticides on them. These foods are high in nutrients and fiber, helping your body create the poop that it needs to to lose the toxins that your body is dealing with.
5) CLEAN PRODUCTS ONLY- Give your household and personal products a "clean" audit. This means looking at the ingredients lists and opting for products that do NOT have harmful and carcinogenic (cancer causing) chemicals. Products should be free of sulfates, phthalates, parabens, triclosan (products labeled antibacterial) , and ammonia to name a few. Seventh Generation is a great clean product line if you are looking for a new set of cleaning products to feel good about.
You can do this! By making these simple changes you are already on the road to living a cleaner life!
May you be healthy inside and out,